Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Beginning..... sort of ;)

Welcome to our blog! We are never short on excitement around here so sit back and enjoy the chaos!

Taj Mahal Farm consists of approximately 30 sheep (some in utero as I type), 2 goats, 1 Great Pyrenees guard dog, 2 house cats and 3 nutty Dixon's on 12 acres in Orbisonia,PA.

Currently it is 3:56am on our humble farm and I am on night shift with our bottle baby, Juniper. Juniper is a pure bred Texel ewe lamb that was born at approximately 1:30pm yesterday (2/20/13). Her entrance into this world was a bit rough but I think we've got this one on the road to recovery. Juniper is the sole survivor of a set of twins. The other lamb was sooooooo big that she died due to complications in her delivery. As a result poor Juniper had a rough go and as sometimes happens her mother was unable to take care of her so she is now our bottle baby in the bath tub! I will be up every 2 hrs or so feeding her and between round 2 and 3 the brilliant idea to start a blog for the farm struck!

Now that you know all about Juniper and the events leading up to my blogging at an unseemly hour in the morning here is some more information about our farm :)

Our flock is made up of 2 different breeds primarily with some crosses scattered through. We have registered purebred Texel and Cotswold breeding stock as well as some Dorset and Shropshire crosses. From these lovely lawn mowers on legs we get sell market lambs, breeding stock, freezer lambs, fleeces, roving, yarn,locks and soon pelts(eek an adventure I will soon be embarking on).

The goats are a recent addition. Their names are Josie and Hally and they are Alpine dairy goats. Their acquisition came through our very dear friend, Emily, who happens to be our shearer and has a blog as well! Once I figure out how to put links into a post I will be sure to send you her way! The goats are a recent fascination of mine since I learned how to make cheese this summer. I have aspirations to make many different kinds of cheese in the near future so you will have to come back and see how this adventure goes!

Before I leave you for the night/morning/whatever I will give you the lamb count since it is lambing season:
5 ram lambs and 4 ewe lambs. Let's see what the new day brings! Bring on the LAMBIES!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment